Tuesday, May 18, 2010

How to be a nice girl/woman and not get murdered - II

*Waves yogurt cup at monitor*

So I'm back with 5 more to add to my guide. I hope all the nice folks are still here with us or as many as could be saved.

6. Lock your doors and windows on both your home and vehicle. Sorry, you ain’t in Heaven yet and if you ain’t trying to go today I suggest you act like you know you are not in Heaven. Close and lock your doors and windows.

I don’t care where you live and how SAFE you THINK you are. If you live in a gated community then 9 times out of 10 you are gated in with your would be attacker. They are the handy man, gardener, property manager, real estate agent. They will be someone you either would trust or don’t notice going about their lives. They are watching you and you don’t even know it.

TRUE STORY: Happened just this past winter in Bmore. After one of our snowstorms a man knocks on a woman’s door asking to shovel her walk for an agreed upon price. He does the work, she pays him and he leaves. He also comes back later and rapes her.

The people you don’t think are thinking about you ARE thinking about you.

So lock it up for your own safety.

7. Get a weapon. Yeah, for serious or seriously. I would prefer you get something by Smith and Wesson or one of their competitors but if you are truly opposed to such things in your home may I suggest mace, pepper spray, and/or a taser? Keep something readily at hand everywhere you would be in your home no matter what you decide.

8. Get opaque window curtains…and close them when in any and all states of undress. I don’t care whether you have window blinds or window shades you still need opaque window curtains. I offer you this story as proof:

I believe I read this story in Westlaw while temping for a law firm. I was in my 20s then. A woman was raped by a man whose defense was that he was walking by her window one night and peeped in. After watching what she was doing HE DECIDED she could use his services and broke in and raped the woman. That was his defense. Seriously. You know he was found guilty and sent to jail. He was a total stranger to this woman but he thought she could use his services just from what she was doing. *smh* Now this woman has this horrible memory etched into her mind forever and by now he is probably out of jail messing up some other woman’s life.

Get thee to a window treatment department/store and get thee some opaque window curtains. Get some ties so that you can tie them back to let in the daylight if you must. But get them. I am debating about telling you my story…yeah I guess I might as well.

Like I said in Rule # 5, listen to your instincts. My instincts had been telling me that someone was watching me in the mornings as I dressed. But I just told myself I was getting silly in my old age cuz I had blinds. They were closed and I had parked behind my apartment one evening and looked up at my bedroom windows and saw nothing. I had even left my lights on so that I would be sure that you couldn’t see through my blinds.

Yeah…what I didn’t know was that if you stood in a certain spot you could see right into my well lit bedroom and watch me dress and undress. I can’t understand why anyone would do this but low and behold whoever he was he couldn’t keep it to himself. I was dressing one morning and I heard these guys talking behind my building and making comments about various parts of some chick’s anatomy.

Now what are the odds that there could be two women standing naked in their bedrooms? Well, take into account that on one side of me was a dude’s apartment both upstairs and downstairs. The apartment on the other side was empty and the chick that lived downstairs from me had already left for work. The apartment under the empty apartment had an elderly widower in it. Yup, they had to be talking about me especially after I bent over and I heard the azz comments.

I stood up with my towel and turned off the lights and ended the show, PERMANENTLY. *smh* Please tell me the point of all that? And yes, I had the chance to ogle an attractive male neighbor in his state of undress once. I glanced briefly and kept it moving. He had his blinds and curtains wide open so he really couldn’t expect but so much privacy. I on the other hand, had closed my blinds I just didn’t know that they had a weak spot. So, I lived and learned. You live and learn from these two experiences please and get opaque curtains for every window in your home. EVERY WINDOW!!!! I don’t care how small the window, a perverted mind will find a way to make it work for them. Don’t give them an in.

9. If held up, don’t argue with the criminal. Give him/her anything they ask for except your life. If they try to snatch your purse, let that thing go…I don’t care if it’s your favorite. You came into this world naked and you are going out the same way. You gonna look real stupid at the Pearly Gates trying to explain that to whoever is on duty. (I do not believe St. Peter is there all the time, he was one of Jesus’ favorites you know. He and Jesus might like to get together and chat from time to time. IJS)

*holding up hands* Yes, I know the principle of the thing. It is yours and they don’t have a right to it. But on the real, I’ve found that no matter what people take from you by force or trickery it almost always finds its way back to you in some way shape or form. And it profits the person doing the stealing nothing. So let it go already.

10. Pay attention to your surroundings. Again, stop bouncing around like Pollyanna, Gidget, Sandra Dee, and Snow White. It’s okay to look around as you are going about your day. Pay attention to what is going on around you. I know it is the norm today to plug in and zone out but for real…when you are a nice person you can’t afford to do that. Cuz while you are zoning out a person with bad intentions may be zoning into you. There are worse people out there than Hello Kitty Slut.

TRUE FAMILY STORY: I was to meet my oldest sister at her home. It was winter time and well after 7 pm so it was dark. I was driving at the time and arrived early so I sat in my car and waited. Though I have a key to her home, she has a security system and I can’t remember the code for jack. *embarrassed chuckle*

Anyhoodles, I saw her car pass me. I had purposely left the spot in front of her door open for her to park. I waited till she parked and gathered up her belongings to get out of her car. She was wearing a big bulky coat which prevented her from seeing anyone in her peripheral vision. That was why I was shocked when she got out her car without looking behind her, even after I SLAMMED my car door as I walked away from it. Now since she had parked not another car had come down the street. That fact alone would have made me turn toward the sound but my sister kept moving like she heard nothing. I walked up behind her and followed her up her steps. I stood and waited patiently behind her as she opened her door.

Now I thought she would surely turn and see me behind her as she tried to close her door but…she…SHE NEVER TURNED AROUND!!!! Instead she continued into the house leaving the door ajar to put down her purse and bags. Then she removed her coat AND THEN she turned to shut and lock the door.

WTH???? I was already in her house and she had no clue I was behind her. The look of shock on her face when she finally turned and saw me would have been funny if not for how serious the situation really was. What if I had been someone who wanted to harm her?

If a criminal had wanted her car, they could have had it. If they’d wanted to rape her, they could have done it. Or worse…*smh*

Is my sister a nice person? She has done wonderful things for children from all walks of life, socioeconomic backgrounds, and skin colors. She is one of those unsung heroes. And for donating so much of her life and time to the future, children, I think that makes her a great person. *side-eye* Our relationship, however, is another story. God ain’t through with either of us, yet. Regardless of our relationship I would never wish her any harm. That is the truth.

So this is what I got right now…I got a few more rolling around in my head and will update when I get a chance. My job is kicking my azz right now. *smh exasperated* But I gotta eat, shyt and sleep so to work I go. In the meantime, take heed and take care.

You can also find this guide on my friend Hello Kitty Slut's website: http://hellokittyslut.com/

*tips water bottle at monitor*

No comments:

Post a Comment