Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Tyler Perry

Ok, I am a fan of Mr. Tyler Perry. I enjoy his work and I don’t care what his sexual orientation happens to be.

See, Madea reminds me a lot of this lady named Miss Mary I knew growing up. She was a gun packing woman who took no stuff from anyone, husband included. She actually went down to his job and shot at him. She told the story while he sat there and cosigned it. Did he deserve her anger? Yes. Did he deserve to get shot at? Evidently he thought so becuz he bailed her out of jail after she was arrested for shooting at him. *chuckle*

There is just so much in his plays and movies that I can identify with. I just find it amazing that so many black people have had the Cosby Show family upbringing that is totally foreign to me outside of movies, books and tv. I think it’s great for them and that the world has changed so much that some black folk had that great American upbringing. But why do they feel the need to hate on those of us that didn’t grow up like that? Neither me nor those raised like me are hating on them. Maybe Wonderbread land wasn’t as great as we thought it was. All that glitters is not gold, I guess.

Why does any of this even matter to me? What is the point of this? Well, I find it amusing and interesting that so many people have a problem with Tyler Perry and his niche audience of mainly black American women. Folk have a problem with him yet no one is trying to copy his success.

See, in 2008 while most of the world’s financial markets were losing their shirts, pants, shoes, socks and undershirts Tyler Perry made $100,000,000. Yeah, I could have typed $100 million but all those zeros make the point so much better. *shrug* At least I think so.

See, while everyone is trying to figure what is wrong with black women, Tyler figured out what was right with us instead. He figured out what was right first and then did a back end run on what was wrong. It was ingenious. All I can do is applaud him.

See, we may be his niche but his niche has made him to date over $200,000,000 while everyone else is still trying to find their financial footing.
Tyler Perry even made a movie that should have appeased black men. Daddy’s Little Girls. It was his lowest grossing moving to date. *chuckle* If the fellas really wanted to make a statement to the effect that there are still a lot of great black men out here who step up to the plate and handle their affairs like adults then they should have flocked to the movie and bought the DVD, legally.

Why didn’t black women flock to the movie and buy the DVD? I can’t speak for all of us but I know that I just don’t see enough black men like Idris’ character in my real world. *shrug* It is what it is.

Anyhoodles, all this disparaging talk about TP and his niche audience, we sure got a lot of money for some bitter evil heffas in this here niche, got me thinking. First, good thing for him bitter evil heifers control so much money and we ain't stingy. Second, the media and everyone else seems to talk about what’s wrong with us so much lately it made me wonder. I mean, what is the real problem?

Stepping back and looking at everyone else pointing fingers at us I began to wonder what is the question that folk are really asking?

I mean…look at the facts:

43% of black women are unmarried. The article and numbers are from 2008. I expect that number to increase after the 2010 census results are in.

Black women number at less than 10% of the population of the US yet we lead the numbers in newly reported cases of HIV/AIDS. AIDS & HIV Statistics as of 2008

We are reported to be bitter, evil, uppity, etc so our own men don’t want us. At least to hear the media tell it. Google or Bing it.

An unreported number of black men are on the down low (homosexual but refuse to admit it).

Most of the time we are saddled with raising our children on our own with little or no emotional or financial support.

We have poor health. We are more likely than white women to die of breast cancer, colon cancer, and uterine cancer. Not to mention other treatable illnesses.

We are malnourished. When you work for a living you eat what is cheap and fast. Cheap and fast almost always equals bad for you.

Then we have all the same problems that all the finger pointers have: overworked, severely underpaid, underappreciated, under loved, under sexed, sleep deprived… *pauses to flex fingers* Yeah, I could go on but I think I made my point.

When I take all that into consideration I guess I get what people are really asking: Why the fuk haven’t black women cracked the fuk up like the rest of us?

Cuz see, we do have our crackheads, prostitutes, strippers, unwed mothers, thieves, con-artists, and just plain criminals, abused women, and some dummies among us. We still don’t get pissed becuz we got passed over for a promotion and piss in the coffee pot.

We don’t sexually molest one of our Sunday school students, kill her and stuff her in a suitcase (Sandra Cantu). We don’t decide to kill our significant other, set fire to their home and our home and then go out to a deserted parking lot, call 911 and tell them all about it before we commit suicide. We don't even know why.

We don’t decide to walk into a gym and kill the opposite sex becuz we feel rejected by every one of them link. I read his blog before it was taken down. Wow. No where in there does he say to himself that perhaps he should take some of his estimated quarter of million dollars net worth and seek professional help. *smh*

We don’t decide to kill our ex but first let’s kill a bunch of other people that have nothing to do with us DC Snipers.

We don’t barricade ourselves in a home for days and days and days cuz our ex broke up with us, but first we kill her neighbors who try to help. Joe Palczynski

We don’t strap our children into their car seats and push the car into a lake. (Susan Smith)

We don’t fake our own kidnapping to get out of wedding. Real life runaway bride.

Those of us in the public eye ain’t whoring ourselves out to any dyck that wants a ride while being married to someone else. I ain’t even gonna link this cuz there are too many men who have been outed recently to pick one.

We don’t go off the deep end and kill the man who has been lying to us about leaving his wife for us and then commit suicide. Link I mean for real y’all? Those two have become verbs. i.e. Man, I am going to dump this chick before she goes Kazemi on me and I end up McNaired! *smh*

We don’t even feel the need to announce to the world that we have a prejudiced coochay. *shrug*

We don’t do a lot of things that all the finger pointers seem to be doing. Yet the finger pointers seem to have a lot more trouble coping with their problems than we bitter, evil, unmarried, unloved black women. Makes me wonder, what is it that the finger pointers are doing wrong?

Maybe that is the question that the finger pointers should be focusing on.

No comments:

Post a Comment