Thursday, April 3, 2008

Ok, picture this:

It is April 1st at about 5:45 pm on a Tuesday evening. I am sitting in my little green hornet at the red light at the intersection of Wasbash Avenue and Northern Parkway in Baltimore, MD (Charm City USA). Minding my own business and wondering why I am still working for a living. And having one of those talks with God that probably make Him rethink the whole making of me.

Anyway, I am in the right most lane. In the lane beside me (middle lane) there is a white car and infront of it a little red car and in front of that car a blue minivan. In front of the blue minivan is a black car that crossed in front of it in a ruse to get over to the left most lane.

I am sitting there fuming as my expensive gasoline turns into more fumes to add to the greenhouse affect going on in the world when I notice that the little red car starts to edge toward the blue minivan.

Where does he think he is going? I wonder because the light has shown no indication that it is ready to change to green. Cars are still whizzing by on Northern Parkway as I, on Wasbash, wait patiently to go.

Before I can blink - BANG! The red car hits the minivan.

Idiot! I think as I watch the guy in the red car and the guy in the minivan step out of their vehicles.

All of a sudden about 8-10 men start running by my car down Wasbash Avenue toward the two guys with guns out and pointing straight ahead and ready to shoot anything that moves! The driver of the red car grabs the driver of the blue minivan and drops him to the ground as the other men yell "Get down! Get down!"

At this point I am hoping, praying and assuming that these are police officers in plain clothes because I didn't see any badges displayed. They were holding their guns with both hands so that didn't leave a free hand to display a badge and that's perfectly understandable. I much prefer their guns to be steady, wouldn't you?

On the passenger side of my car is a grassy median strip and there is a car suddenly pulling up onto the grass beside me. Just as I start to get the idea that maybe I should be panicking the woman in the car in front of me - who by the way CUT ME OFF so she could be in front of me - panicks and throws her car into reverse and starts backing up. Suddenly, I am not so worried about all the men with guns drawn and raised because I know - after the day I have had - if the idiot in front of me backs into me she will be the next driver on the ground! There are about 10 cars behind me, a car beside me in the middle lane and an unmarked police car on the grassy median strip beside me. I have no where to go!

Just as her license plate disappears from my view and I brace for impact the light turns green, thank the Lord, and the car in front of her drives off. It took her another 10-15 seconds to get it together but she finally did and put her car in drive. You would think she should have been speeding through the light. Right?

Wrong! She recovered enough to stop and be nosey as we passed by. No, I didn't look as I passed by for fear I might see a family member or ex-boyfriend needing bail money or worse yet, calling out my name and having the police turn their guns my way...

No comments:

Post a Comment